Friday, January 4, 2013

Fortnight

A not so common word any longer...

Pinterest.com


"Fortnight" is used commonly in historical novels. I read many books that were written in the periods of  Regency and 18th century. This word is common, and yet I have always found it difficult to remember what the word means! Today, my youngest daughter, Sidney, asked me what it meant because she read it in one of her books. Dang it! I'm supposed to know the meaning, but alas, I could not remember. So, I looked it up.... again... for the umpteenth time. This time, however, I read the origination, and wallah, it finally makes sense.

Origin:
Before 1,000 Middle English fourtenight. 1.)

 Any easy way to remember what Fortnight means is to say it with an accent on the "t".  Four-teh-night or fourteen nights, which means two weeks.


1.) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fortnight?s=t




No comments:

Post a Comment

Great T-Shirts and More!


See other gifts available on Zazzle.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...