Monday, April 8, 2013

Lilford Hall Estate

This may be an estate that I become obsessed with!

The following is directly quoted from their website Lilford Hall Estate. Please visit and follow them on Twitter. 

Lilford Hall is a Grade 1 listed stately home with 100 rooms of outstanding architectural and historic interest.  Sitting in 350 acres of parkland, the Jacobean house built in 1635 is a work of considerable significance, and Henry Flitcroft's Georgian alterations and additions in the 1740s are of a similar status.
Lilford Hall South Wing

Lilford Hall fell into neglect for around 50 years afer the 6th Baron Lilford died in 1949, with both house and grounds slowly deteriorating over that time.  Intent on saving this magnificent property the Micklewright family, Lilford Hall's current owners and custodians, have developed extensive restoration plans  to repair and restore the hall to secure its future for the next 200 years.  Their comprehensive strategy can be viewed on this website.  
Please browse these pages for a history of the Hall, including its unique connection to America, details of theFamilies who have lived here, and numerous photographs related to the HallLilford Hall Aerial View

If you wish to participate in the restoration, please consider buying a plot of estate land in the 250 year old Walled Garden at Lilford,  (click here). The funds raised will be used to restore Lilford Hall to its former glory whilst you join the Micklewright family as Squires of Lilford!

Lilford Hall is a Grade 1 listed stately 100 room home with a 55,000 sq ft floor area, located in the eastern part of the County of Northamptonshire in the United Kingdom.  A Grade 1 listed building is considered by the UK Government as of outstanding architectual and historic interest.  Lilford Hall and the associated parkland of 350 acres is located north-west of the village of Lilford, part of the parish of Lilford-cum-Wigsthorpe and Thorpe Achurch.
Lilford is Jacobean-style gentry house of the 1630s, related closely with Thorpe masons through its parallels with other neighbouring houses such as Kirby Hall and Apethorpe Hall. Its plan is traditional and arranged around a 'U-shaped' court with the hall entered by a screens passage, the Great Chamber placed over the hall, leading to the principal apartment that terminated with the Great Bed-chamber.
Its development by successive generations respected the old house, but each stage has a clarity that is clearly legible and contributes to the whole. Apart from the construction of the pair of balancing stable wings by Henry Flitcroft and the successive addition of small scale extensions in the form of additional storeys to the east end of the two wings, works were confined to alterations within the house and remodelling.
The Jacobean house is considered as of considerable significance, and Henry Flitcroft's alterations in the 1740s are of a similar status. The outstanding contribution of Henry Flitcroft was with his insertion of a comprehensive set of 18C Georgian interiors that not only transformed the principal rooms into a sequence of Palladian spaces, but brought light into the heart of the building. The play of the sequence of 18C Georgian rooms within the structure of the Jacobean house is one of the most notable features of the house.

Lilford HallFor further information on various aspects of the history of Lilford Hall, please Click here for a brief architectural history of Lilford Hall, Click here for a full architectural history of Lilford Hall, Click here for a history of the Parkat Lilford, Click here for a history of Parish and Manor of Lilford, and Click here for a history of The Walled Garden.
Click here for more historical photographs of Lilford Hall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great T-Shirts and More!

See other gifts available on Zazzle.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...